Friday, April 13, 2012

My first noraebang experience

I love living here. Every day is a learning experience and there is always something new. While I wonder when that sheen of "new-ness" will fade, I am currently entranced.

Last night, two co-workers and I enjoyed a night out on the town. We splurged and went to On The Border. I haven't been to one in the States and I was looking forward to "normal" cuisine: cheese, chicken, salsa, guacamole, rice, beans, etc. The dinner was just okay; I'm not sure if the unimpressive result was from a lack of authentic Mexican food (you could tell the guacamole had been freezed) or maybe just a very slight Korean spin on things. Regardless, it was a nice change and I'll go back again to try the empanadas and the chicken flautas.

After dinner, the three of us found a noraebang a short distance away. For those of you who haven't heard of this Asian phenomenon, noraebang is like karaoke. You and a few friends (or a bunch) pay by the hour for a little room with a large TV, mics, speakers, and places to sit. Then you go through these HUGE books just FILLED with song after song after song in English, Korean, and Japanese. Each song is numbered and there is a huge remote control that you use to select a song, change the tempo, change the key, etc.

My co-workers were amazing. They sounded great. I personally think the ajusshi at the front desk gave us (almost) another hour free because my co-workers actually sounded GOOD, especially compared to some of the other customers in the rooms next to ours. My co-workers were so good it was rather intimidating! I am so not the sort of person to just belt it out - never have, but now I don't think I can say I never will. It was a lot of fun and after I practice a few songs in the comfort of my little apartment, I will be ready for the next time!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, so awesome! Wish I could be there for your performance! :)

    ReplyDelete