Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Adios USA!

Here I sit in the San Francisco International Airport, tired, emotional, stressed, excited, nervous, happy, prepared, unprepared, impressed, and slightly appalled that I'm actually moving overseas.

Last night was spent packing, packing, and packing. I got everything I needed into my two suitcases and carry-on; I think I did a good job in my decisions, but time will tell if I should have brought that extra sweater, skirt, or pillow. The biggest blessing is that my checked bags each weighted in at 49.5 lbs! With the limit at 50, I was pretty worried because I knew I was close. God is so good and I didn't have to remove anything from my bags.

We left home a little after three in the morning. Honestly, when I see three in the morning I prefer it from the going-to-bed side as opposed to the waking-up side. My sister was a chipper little thing and I was and am so appreciative that she missed school and work to see me off. Her positive attitude and delightful song-creating are two things I love about her and I am very glad she was there to support me as I left my messy (SORRY MOM!!!) room behind.

The drive into the airport went quickly and without any problems. The construction on I-90 is just past the exit for O'Hare.

My siblings carried my suitcases into the terminal and again, I am so grateful that they were each 1/2 lb under the limit. The check-in agent checked to see if my family could accompany me to the gate because this is a long-term separation, but she was unable to get approval. So I sobbed just before security and hugged them tightly. I don't like saying good-bye at the airport because the immediacy of the situation is too apparent. However, perhaps this situation is unique because I am leaving behind (greatly) beloved family members and friends and heading off into the unknown, whereas next time I come to visit I will be leaving to return to my normal routine. There is definite comfort in routine!

The flight from O'Hare to San Francisco left on time and arrived early. I slept on and off, but sleeping on planes is just really uncomfortable and almost an exercise in futility. I was not served breakfast - something I had expected - and there wasn't much to break up the flight. Thankfully, I had an aisle seat and there was no one next to me. I am amazed at how God takes care of my little wants and desires - every single flight of importance or long duration I have had a window or an aisle seat.

Now I am here in the United Club Lounge, charging my cell, my Kindle, my iPod Touch, and my laptop. There is complimentary Wi-Fi and comfortable chairs. I see a little breakfast bar that I am about to hit up and there noise level is VERY low. My stress level is dropping - all I have to do now is get on my flight and figure out what to do with myself for (almost) twelve hours. And they should feed me - twice! - on that flight.

I'll post again when I have an internet connect, some rest, and a few free minutes. Love to you all!

1 comment:

  1. Hard to believe that you are on your way. Also you are 2 hrs from where I am currently living! I might have seen your plane landed in SF today since I was in the area working. Sade flight!!

    ReplyDelete