Friday night
IWU currently has dancing fever because the rules for student conduct were amended and now dancing (with a few stipulations) is allowed. IWU has gone rather crazy... every event features dancing in some fashion. Normally the events are - in my superior senior opinion - lame, but Friday night's Swing Dancing was the exception. There was a live band and a half-hour dance lesson. I'm so glad I went! However, if I had to do it over again, I would have gone to the lesson; I didn't remember as much as I thought I would. Below are some pictures of my friends and I dancing our hearts out to some great music!
[Anne and her saintly husband put the students to shame with their dancing skills.]
[Craig and I making it up as we danced along to the great band!]
Saturday night
As most people know, I adore hosting large dinners (in my tiny casa). Saturday night was supposed to be a cookout in my front yard; however, I failed to take into consideration the weather before I planned it. Though - to be fair - I did plan it more than ten days in advance and when I was in the planning process Indiana weather was stinking beautiful! Ah well - we improvised.
My amazing friend Craig has a way with meat and a grill; the combination is extremely tasty. The attribute of amazing does not apply to his outstanding grilling skills though - oh no! - but rather his kindness in doing the dishes! The man cooks and then cleans up. What more could I ask for in a friend?
We ate steak and brats and chicken and potatoes and mint chocolate brownies. My roommate made her yummy guacamole (in a HUGE bowl) and less than 24 hours later the guac has been vanquished by hungry college students.
[Krista and my sister showing off the food!]
[We take a picture together whenever possible. Who knows how long we will live in the same country!?]
One of the best parts about the evening (besides the delicious food) was my former roommate Laurie visiting me. More friends joined us and we played Just Dance 2 and a Micheal Jackson game on the Wii. And of course, no cookout would be complete without a trip to Ivanhoe's for ice cream.
[At Ivanhoe's]
Sunday
Sunday was a beautiful day and the church service I attended was great. I'm not attending my usual church (45 minutes - 1 hour away) because of gas prices ($3.99 here). The church I am currently attending is within walking distance.
The lady who preached talked about praise and the need to offer it to God always - not just on Palm Sunday or Easter, but also in the middle of the week or during the darkest periods such as the crucifixion of Christ. The sermon was an excellent reminder about the power of praise. One of my favorite devotions comes from Come Away My Beloved by Frances J. Roberts. I want to copy it down here so you can read it as well.
Dynamos of Praise
O My child, lean upon Me; for I am thy helper; I am thy shield and thy buckler. Yea, I am thy strong tower and support. No evil shall befall thee, for thou art surrounded and protected by My presence, and no evil can touch Me. Yea, let thine heart rejoice in Me, and occupy thine heart with praise. There is no need that I will not fulfill as ye praise and worship -- both your needs and the needs of others.
Man has contemplated the power of faith and of prayer , but only rarely have I revealed to men this far greater power of praise . For by prayer and faith doors are opened, but by praise and worship, great dynamos of power are set in motion, as when a switch is thrown and an electric power plant such as Niagara is thrown into operation. Praying for specifics is like requesting light for individual houses in various scattered placed, while worshiping and praise flood the whole area with available current.
I do not discount prayer (petitions). I only show you a more marvelous way -- a faster means of bringing more help to more people with less elapse of time. So many need Me. So little time is available. Turn loose thy praises, and in proportion to thy liberality, ye shall see My generosity expressed, and in infinite magnitude.
Labor not to analyze each need. Leave the diagnosis and the mechanics of it in My hands. Complexities are as nothing to Me. They exist only in thy mind, sown by the enemy, to dull thy faith. Ignore all this. Weight nothing except the love of My heart. Ask nothing except ye inquire of thine own heart how much love for Me is there. Hold Me closely, nor let Me go. I will surely bless you, and I will make you a blessing.
I will make you a blessing. Think not to take a blessing to someone, or hope that I will send a blessing. Lo, I will make thee, as My ambassador, to be thyself a sweet savor of life and grace. Through thy saltiness shall others be made thirsty. Through thy joy shall others be made to long after reality.
Yea, through thy peace and confidence shall others seek for me, and they shall themselves find Me even as ye have found Me. I will reveal Myself to them as I have revealed Myself to you. Perhaps in a different way, because each has different needs, but I will open to all who knock. I will reward those who seek. I will reward. Ye need only preserve they soul's integrity. This is enough to fully occupy thine energies and attention. Leave the miracles to Me. You be and I will do.
No comments:
Post a Comment