Sunday, February 20, 2011

Counting Down!

Twelve and a half days until I leave for France! My little iGoogle calendar is keeping me well informed and I am SO excited!

This trip is different than any other trip I've taken because I've had almost two months to luxuriate in anticipation. My anticipation for Spain had a significantly different tone than my current state. I knew that I would be in Spain for almost five months and that was the longest I had ever been away from my family. So, while I was very excited to go, my anticipation was tempered by anxiety. As for anticipating my Thanksgiving trip to Honduras to visit my roommate, I only had four days of absolute "I'm definitely going!" anticipation. I didn't want to get too excited before I knew I was going to see her for certain; it would have been so crushing to eagerly expect the buddy pass to come through and not receive it.

However...France is coming. My tickets are bought. My seats are assigned. The TGV tickets finally came through (travel tip: ALWAYS buy on the French website - the English language sites will redirect you and charge you beaucoup bucks!).

I cannot wait!

If this blog were a conversation with my mom, she would at this point ask me a question along the lines of "what are you most looking forward to?"

I am most looking forward to

traveling! I love it all - even the airline food. What I like best is the knowledge that anything can happen. Who might I meet? What new sights will I see? Which languages will I hear? I find traveling to be like a great big grown-up game: what is the fastest way to point A? Which line is moving quickly? How can I navigate my way - along with my suitcase - through this enormous crowd? I just love all of it...I love to travel!

le château de Versailles! This is right on par with seeing the Alcázar de Segovia. When I was little I read the Dear America: Royal Diaries series and my two favorite books were about Isabel of Castile and Marie Antoinette. I saw Isabel's rooms in Segovia and now it is time to see Marie Antoinette's. Really, these experiences are like watching my childhood imaginations take on tangible form. These settings that I've read about for so many years and in so many books are now no longer fiction or reality obscured by distance. I actually get to enter into the realm of these stories and see the Hall of Mirrors and see the Hamlet and walk through the same gardens. My favorite part as an adult about this impending visit? It's free! We are going on the first Sunday of the month so it's free! I'm sure it will be remarkably crowded...but I just told you how I don't mind crowds and playing games...

and



Seeing the Mediterranean again with friends. Unfortunately, Nicole won't be with me this time; however, I am going with a wonderful woman who I admire very much. Anne is genuine and deep. She is transparent about problems and she actively seeks to do the best thing in every situation - those characteristics are pretty high on my "to be admired" list after my parents' divorce. Anne makes me laugh; I like talking to her. I'm sure you'll read quite a bit more about her. Anyhoo, I'm excited to get off the TGV, step into a cafe, and eat lunch next to the Mediterranean with Anne and her friend (our hostess) Lorraine. w00t! I cannot wait to post those pictures in less than 13 days!

(P.S. - These two pictures are from Nicole's and my trip to Malaga...we loved dipping our feet into the freezing cold Mediterranean)

No comments:

Post a Comment