Tuesday, December 14, 2010

People are important

People are important. Punto.

This post kind of pulls from many different things, but they all eventually come back with the same message.

Thing #1

A video from a friend of a friend

People Matter from Scott Visk on Vimeo.



People are important. They are not objects to be avoided. They are crossroads to be careful with because who knows what potential is lingering in the man coming out of the office building or the woman with screaming kids in the produce section? Remember this Christmas season to be kind to those customer service people who are ringing up your purchases (aka me).

Thing #2

I found this article on the Time's website and then followed a link to a Facebook engineering blog. Check the picture out!



The Facebook intern who created this was intrigued by how political and geographical boundaries affected relationship patterns on Facebook (and probably in general). Math is so completely beyond me that I can't explain to you the formulas he used, but his blog on Facebook got the point across to non-tech people like moi. My favorite part about this chart/graph/picture that he made are the international friendships. Too often I think of my friends and subsequently my sphere of influence being limited to my college and my hometown. But I've lived abroad, I've traveled abroad, and I am doing so again in the near future. How awesome would it be if I viewed each person I meet in Macedonia (and possible France...more on that later; and maybe Spain) as a crossroads, as a person with potential, and not as an object to be avoided?

Do you think that map would look differently if we all had that attitude?

I can put that attitude into practice tomorrow as I go to the auto repair shop to help sort out a $180 miscommunication. That amount may not sound like a lot to you, but for a college student with very, very limited resources, the amount signifies a gran problema. I don't think my sister will ever be ambiguous in her statements ever again. But, straightening this mess out now that the labor has been done and the parts are installed could get very messy.

One last thing before I go.

Well, three things actually. Check out these blog posts!

First blog post is by Spain Dad. His daughter, Alleke, got to meet Xavi! Yes, you may be jealous. I am. Watch the video though and look at her smile - so precious. Is there anything greater than a child who is overflowing with joy? This blog is great and I am partial to it because I've never heard of anyone else with my nickname and it is her actual name. [adore]

Second & third blog posts are by one of my favorite bloggers: The Very Worst Missionary. Her most recent post (aka my second thing for you to check out) is about language and words that Christians should and should not use. Her thoughts reflect mine entirely - except I'm not that eloquent. This topic has been very controversial here at university and I'm sure someone is bound to have an opinion on this subject; please comment below - I'm genuinely interested. The next post of hers that I recommend you check out is this one.

An update for those of you who know me personally: finals week is rough. I am so glad these are the last classes I'm taking here on campus. As long as I pass all these finals, and consequently all these classes, I will have two courses left which I may complete in Europe. Doesn't the thought of being in Macedonia just make you smile? Yeah, me too.

France - an anonymous person has spoken to a friend of mine and offered me the opportunity to go to France and pay half my way. As more details arise I'll fill you in, but I would be the traveling companion of my dear friend and because her trip isn't certain, my trip is not fully certain. But what a gift just to know that France for a week is possible! I realize now that not studying abroad again is the best thing, but my heart yearns to be in Europe and I would selfishly love to visit France: Versailles, Marseilles, Paris, Montpelier, ahh... I think that God knows that I strongly desire to live abroad and that I am most drawn to Europe as a whole and the Mediterranean region in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment