Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Christmas Stories



Highlights of the Christmas Season


-I am home for the first time since August.

-I have plenty of hours at work...66 hours the weeks before and after Christmas. While spending so much time away from my family is not exactly my favorite thing, the money certainly will be nice.

-My friend from Texas came up to visit his family and mine. It was nice to see him again because it happens so rarely.

-I have had time to read for pleasure! My favorite is "God's Smuggler" by Brother Andrew (a re-read) and I am currently reading "Among Muslims" by Kathleen Jamie. Next on my list is a splurge that I indulged in while in Borders the other day: "The Hole in the Gospel" by Richard Stearns.

-New clothing! I can find very little "affordable" things (less than a trip to some exotic location, new car, or even new laptop) which I would like to buy; however, the sales at the Gap and the outlet mall have outfitted me for the new year, including one very cute black and white skirt. I just love being able to swish my skirt - I feel so feminine!

-I am going to France this spring!!! Another person has offered to pay the second half of my trip...so I am going for free! Well, minus any expenditures on my part...(ahem, clothing and a few souvenirs).

-A really cool God-story about my family's Christmas presents. Due to my family's situation, there is very little money for anything, let alone Christmas gifts. This year, just like last year, Mom told my siblings and I that there would be very little underneath the tree. She began preparing us before Black Friday hit and kept reminding us as the advent season progressed. However, on Christmas morning, we found a few extra presents underneath the tree and as we opened them up we realized that these were not cheap little gifts. No, my sister received a Coach purse and I also received a name-brand wallet. My brother got an Xbox game (Guitar Hero). My sister and I also received real diamond necklaces. Umm...surprise? Mom broke into tears when we looked at her with the "what the heck just happened?" expression. Apparently, someone from Mom's Bible-study had a daughter who was in a very detrimental and unhealthy relationship. The friend asked my mother if she (the friend) could tell her daughter about Mom's story (marriage, divorce, God, etc). Mom agreed and when Mom and her friend met again, the friend said that her daughter had done a 180 degree turn. The daughter was no longer in that relationship and had rededicated her life to the Lord. From this relationship, the daughter had received a number of gifts - expensive purses, diamond necklaces, etc. The daughter was going to sell these gifts online and use the money for something else; but the daughter knew that the money and whatever it was spent on would remind her of this failed and unhealthy relationship. So she prayed about it and felt the Lord prompting her to give these gifts up and God placed my family on her heart. So she gave the gifts to her mother and asked her mother to give them to my mother. When my mom opened up the boxes she saw things that were exactly what she would have chosen for my sister and me. For my sister there was a purse in her favorite color. For me, there was a diamond necklace in a style that she knew I would adore. Then the friend told my mom that she had bought her own son a game but it played on the wrong gaming system. Instead of buying Guitar Hero for Playstation 3, she had purchased Guitar Hero for Xbox. Instead of returning the gift, she offered it to my mom, completely unaware which gaming system my brother had. How awesome is that? So now, when I wear this beautiful necklace, I think of how one man picked it out for this anonymous girl and instead of it being around her neck, it is now around mine. [In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps - Proverbs 16:9]

No comments:

Post a Comment