Watching TV during dinner is a no-no in my home. Mom believes that we need to converse and build relationships during this important, daily activity. I can't say that I disagree with her at all. Family dinners (or lack thereof) really can make or break a family.
However, cuando estaba en Espana my senora put on the TV every night and that is how we ate our dinner: by the glare of the television. While not a practice I want to permeate my eating rituals, I did learn some very important and/or useful things while watching TV. The various programming opened up many conversations with my senora. I learned a lot about the current issues in Spain. I improved in my listening skills and I learned a lot of new words; for example, portavoz means "spokesperson."
I really like reading blogs. I love learning about other people through their writing, their pictures, what they think is important enough to post to the internet and link with their name. There is a lack of superficiality because those shallow blogs don't continue. Instead, I can find a depth in a person that I might not have been able to find otherwise.
So that makes me wonder - what am I choosing to post to the internet, knowing that it will be forever attached to my name? Is what I have to say something of worth? I want to be intentional about what I post, whether my post is about my most recent foreign adventure or what I am learning or what I want to remind myself of when I look back through the entries. And overwhelmingly, my more recent blog posts have something to do with God.
There is no official Jesus blog. If there were, what do you think it would say? Would we even come back to keep reading it? Would it offend us? Would we be convicted? What would Jesus write so that way we could get to know Him better?
There is no Heaven website with a countdown of the years, months, weeks, days, hours, minutes, and seconds until you arrive. There isn't a photo gallery of pictures that you can be the first of your friends from Facebook to like. There isn't a biography tab you can click on to learn more about Jesus, Heaven, and the correct doctrine.
No, I think that if Jesus had a blog or Heaven had a website, it would be pages and pages of links to other blogs: those who call themselves Christians. I am a portavoz for Christ. My actions reflect not just on me, but on my Saviour.
Now, the downside is I know I really stink at presenting a good reflection of Christ. There are a lot of things I look back on and think, "Wow. That was really dumb. I royally screwed that opportunity up." There are quite a number of people and situations I have judged from my human perspective, not the Heavenly one.
I don't have anywhere that I am going with these thoughts; but I thought they might be worth sharing.
No comments:
Post a Comment