Friday, November 19, 2010

I woke up in a foreign country

Discipline is really something at which I stink. Badly.

When I was little, my Dad would have to come into my room at night and tell me to put away my book because it was too late to stay up. Then my Dad would come into my room in the morning to wake me up because I had stayed up too late the night before. I still really dislike going to bed and getting up in the mornings. If I would just go to bed at a decent time then I wouldn't mind getting up so early for classes. I would have more energy to complete all the tasks that I need to accomplish each day. I would stay on top of my work. I would do even better in my classes. I would have more time to spend with my friends. I would be significantly less stressed. I really need to be more disciplined.

This morning I read my Oswald Chamber's devotion and here are a few highlights:

Verse for the day: "If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed." [John 8:36]

- We are designed with a great capacity for God; and sin and our individuality are things that keep us from getting at God.

- God delivers us from sin: we have to deliver ourselves from individuality.

- God will not discipline us, we must discipline ourselves.

- "If the Son shall make you free... Do not substitute "Saviour" for "Son."

I was particularly convicted on the third point. This is something I need to do myself. I can't just wait around and wait for God to work. I am in a relationship with Him; relationships, in order to work, take two people. I need to do my part and participate.

I want to be more disciplined. I don't want to miss out on God's best because I was more concerned with my personal comfort or desires. So, while I am in here in Honduras, I want to be disciplined so that way I can enjoy my time here to the fullest.

Wait! Why are you in Honduras? I've heard about France and Macedonia...

Thanks for asking. I am here in the Tegucigalpa area to visit my roommate (mentioned in my blog's official name). This is her first year of teaching since graduating from university and I miss her. God used family friends of hers to bless me with a buddy pass from Indianapolis to Honduras. What an awesome blessing and great friends! I love being here and hanging out with her! I really don't feel like returning to the States...but by staying I would turn myself into an illegal alien...not a great idea.

I had a very long day yesterday traveling. However, I am very glad to see Cole. We made pizza last night for dinner, from scratch! (We also did other things, but I'm not going to make a detailed list of my time here on the internet.)


So glad to see her! Posing with the pizza crust Gina made for us after we failed miserably.


Another talent to add to Cole's greatness: pizza tossing.


deliciousness

In other news, I am not going to France next semester. I'm a little sad about that - Easter in Paris...um, yes! - but I know that God has plans to prosper me. If His best wasn't in France, then I wouldn't want to go. However, my travel bug is biting hard and I am sad about not going simply because of all the things I won't see and won't experience. BUT, I am in Honduras right now and that is significantly easing my disappointment into a hope for the future. Who knows what will happen? Where will my life take me? I have been so blessed and my future is wide open. I can't wait.

And this morning I woke up in a foreign country.

Thanks God. I love my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment