I've been thinking lately about how living abroad changes a person. I would like to believe that one should be the same no matter the geographical location; I think that comes from hearing in church over and over again that as a Christian you need to be the same (hold and act on the same values) no matter where you are or who you are with. However, living overseas does change a person and I think I've only begun to understand this massive truth.
So, how have I changed in the two months since I've arrived? (Two months today actually - wow!) Well, I would like to think I am a little more daring and adventurous than I was before. When I lived in the States, before I had ever left the country or studied abroad, I was very shy, a picky eater, and unwilling to try new things. My time and experiences in Costa Rica, Spain, and Macedonia have definitely changed those characteristics as now I classify myself as an "introvert learning to become an extrovert," a good eater, and someone who is willing to try new (but not stupid) things. In the past two months I've seen those changes on a smaller, South Korean scale. When I first arrived I was pretty intimidated by the Korean language and my inability to comprehend it, the massive size of Seoul, the very different customs, and the food (particularly the art of eating with chopsticks). Now, two months later, I don't hesitate to try my collection of about ten Korean phrases and I look forward to growing that collection to eleven. The transportation system is pretty easy and I feel empowered by technology (i.e. my iPhone with its GPS) to explore anywhere I'd like. I know that if I get lost I would be able to find my way home. Now bowing and receiving things with both hands isn't strange or odd or foreign - it's familiar. The food still isn't my favorite (how I wish I could eat at Emilio's this weekend and hear Spanish!), but I've found dishes I like and know I'll miss when I leave.
Another aspect of myself that is changed is my American approach to consumerism. In the US, I collect things...unimportant things that I truly don't need, but really like. I like buying things that make a house a home, things that transform my kitchen from one of hand-me-downs to one that reflects my cooking tastes and style, things like DVDs, books, and music that entertain or enlighten me, and things like clothing, shoes, and accessories that clothe me while sending the message I wish to send. Here in South Korea, I have a lot less space, less money, and I don't know how long I will live here in this country. Is it really worth purchasing that $50 lamp (which was seriously cool) when I don't know how I would transport it to my next home (another country? the US?)? Also, I have given up my desire to get the best price. There aren't sales here like there are in the States and I don't speak the language; I can't always get the best deals. This was especially apparent to me when I signed the plan for my iPhone. I have no idea what I signed. I don't read Korean and my translator(s) fill me in the gist of the conversation, not every detail. In the end, I know the most important things, but not the semi-important things.
One last, semi-related thought for the day... those of you who know me know that I love Starbucks. Those of you who have worked with me (or lived with me) have seen how much I consume. Starbucks is by far a luxury that I am willing to pay for because of all the positive connotations this brand has for me. One of the little blessings in moving here is having a Starbucks store located down the street from my apartment. The downside of this arrangement is that I cannot afford it as often because it is slightly more expensive here. In the US, I have my rewards card and I look forward to those free drinks and free syrups and soy milk. I didn't think I would be able to keep those benefits and would therefore really have to limit my Starbucks addiction.On Saturday, when I visited Starbucks with one of my Korean co-workers, I found out that Starbucks Korea does offer the rewards program and I can sign up for it. Unfortunately, the website didn't have an English option and therefore I had to ask for help from a co-worker. The Starbucks membership is pretty serious here; I had to enter my ARC (alien registration card) number and then the computer system pulled up my personal information. Whoa man! No faking someone else's ID in this country! At first the system didn't accept my information and I thought that was it, no Starbucks reward program for me. But my co-worker was willing to call and investigate the problem further (YES!) on my behalf. The problem was we didn't enter my name in all caps (uh-huh, I should have guessed that). Caps lock on and voila! Problem solved and I'm registered. I cannot wait to get Starbucks tomorrow morning and start using my card and racking up those reward stars.
I started out by saying how living abroad changes a person, but I also need to admit that some things won't change, either because we don't need to give them up or God just doesn't ask us to give them up.
No comments:
Post a Comment