Monday, March 5, 2012

A L M O S T here...

My APOSTILLED FBI background check is almost here!

The timing could not have been any more perfect (but God already knew that). This whole "waiting" thing is tough! Now I know that many in my audience can empathize, but I think it still comes as something of a shock to me, realizing how bad I am at this waiting game and how rough it truly is. I thought that my good Christian responses ("Oh yes, the Lord knows the perfect time" or "God is in control!" or "I'm not worried/stressed/completely freaking out because I trust Him") would somehow become my reality. Instead I realized what a choice it is to follow Jesus - an active choice. It is also an individual choice. It is a choice I would have to actively make each moment of some shifts and definitely each day. And I didn't always choose to trust Him; I freaked out quite a bit. So that's definitely something I've learned through this process.

Not having a precise departure date is still very difficult. I have been blessed with so many wonderful people in my life and I am furthermore blessed that they want to see me and spend quality time with me before I depart. I am so grateful for these relationships because I know deep relationships will be in very short supply the first few months after my move (which is only to be expected). Yet, I am unable to make and confirm plans because I don't know where I will be or what I will be doing on ____ day. And going in for my interview at the consulate is the most important thing. I have a legal job contract that I need to fulfill and I cannot fulfill it until I am over there and I cannot be over there until I get my visa and I cannot get my visa until I go to the interview. Priorities!

So my prayer request is that God would so completely guide my schedule, that I would be able to spend enough quality time with those I love, and that every appointment would fall perfectly in place so there would be no (or incredibly limited) stress in rearranging my schedule.

I am so excited to go. I am so excited that the process is moving along. Ironically, I am starting to fear that I may have too much to get done and not enough time. I feel like moving to South Korea is like preparing for a huge final; I have all these grandiose ideas on how to make it better, easier, less stressful and yet I know that when it gets down to the wire that none of it will matter anymore. There is abundant life after you finished the test, no matter how you scored. And so there will also be an abundant life after the plane lands and culture shock sets in. Laminated flashcards with the Korean alphabet are not necessary (though do fulfill my perfectionist tendencies when it comes to language learning). The most thorough (and neatly cataloged) wardrobe will not prevent me from being cold or help me to escape the horrendous I-have-nothing-to-wear syndrome. Beautifully IKEA-framed pictures of family and friends to decorate my future apartment will not keep at bay the deep waves of homesickness that will be sure to strike. And neatly packaged spices and baking supplies will not mean that the food will taste comfortingly familiar. I'm so excited and so aware that while this process will be exciting, it will also be really hard. Therefore, thank you for your prayers!

1 comment:

  1. Miss you, friend. Praying for you in this time of preparation. Can't wait to see the awesome things God has in store for you in South Korea! :)

    ReplyDelete