Friday, July 8, 2011

To Remember

Adjusting to a new (or even a familiar!) place can be a challenge. Moving back home from Macedonia was another transition that has had a few bumps; however, last night had a few simple moments that I want to remember and share. If I could put all the elements of those moments in a shadowbox, I would display them on my wall so I could always remember how blessed I am.

The first thing I would put in would be the long shadows cast by the setting sun. One of my first childhood memories was swinging in the backyard of my first house, watching the shadows from the hedge behind me get longer and longer. I swung higher and higher so my shadow would rise above the hedge. When I couldn't swing high enough anymore, it was time to go in. Last night I drove home from work and saw the shadows stripe the road and felt a contentment that I was going home.

I would put in the warm air that swirled about my hand. I like driving with the windows down and my hand out the window. I like playing with the air and it makes me smile when I see other people do so as well. It was nice out last night and I was more focused on enjoying the ride home than anything else.

I would put in a few smiles. Yesterday was slightly stressful at work. I've been trained for a new department and even though my training is incomplete, I was scheduled alone in the department for an 8 hour shift. I learned a lot and yesterday went reasonably well, but I was so grateful for the people who smiled at me. I had one customer who I really enjoyed chatting with as I helped him with his order. I was able to stop by a previous work station (my favorite one to work at) before I left and my favorite co-worker was there. She smiled when she saw me. Those smiles are like jewels to me because I've lived with people who don't smile when I come in to a room or am around; they are still nice people, but we don't have that "click" of immediate friendship. With this co-worker, I do have that friendship and I am so appreciative of her and the way she smiled when I showed up unexpectedly.

I would put in a sense of belonging. I know how traffic patterns work here, I know the lyrics to the songs on the radio, and I know that if someone stares at me for a long time (giving me the head-swivel) that I should take that as a compliment - not another sign that I am a foreigner. I really enjoyed seeing the beautiful clouds on my way home, singing along to the radio, driving familiar roads, and knowing that I belong here at the moment. I don't always want the sense of belonging and I don't always want to live here, but right now I am very appreciative that this is where God has placed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment