Allow me to share with you my favorite customer of the day.
She's called Julie, although her name is Janine. This dear old lady - she must have been at least 80 - came into my department approximately two minutes after the store opened. Sometimes when older ladies come in I spend the next thirty minutes repeating myself, speaking a little louder, and gently guiding them through the buying process. I don't mind doing this - it simply requires extra patience and consideration. I thought this sweet lady would be another kind soul who required this process.
Boy, was I wrong!
She had came in with a catalog, a list written in beautiful cursive handwriting and complete with page numbers, prices, and options B and C. My favorite (and most prepared) customer! She was humorous, sweet, and flexible. My department is transitioning some of our stock to online only and for some elderly people that transition can be challenging. Julie didn't bat an eyelash. "Well, okay, go ahead and order it."
As I processed her credit card, I noticed that the name on the card was Janine and not Julie. Being the conscientious employee that I am, I asked about the discrepancy. "Oh, Julie is my nickname - long story." Well, there wasn't anyone else in the department and wasn't likely to be for a little while longer, so I asked her if she minded sharing - she didn't. She told me about how she was born in France, along the Belgian border ("But my dear, I'm American now!") and met her husband, an American G.I. during World War II. She had taken English in high school and her proficiency allowed her to work for the Americans during the war. She met her husband and his friends started calling him Romeo and her Juliet. Hence, the nickname Julie...
I thought it was sweet and I loved having a customer who made my day brighter because of a good attitude and willingness to be personable with her sales lady (me!). Lesson learned today? Smile - it's contagious (even if that statement is overly cliche), and be nice to the people who serve you.
No comments:
Post a Comment