For those of you who do not know, my grandmother has been in the hospital since Sunday night.
(You all know where this is going...)
She is in her late eighties and hasn't had the best of health for quite some time. I knew it was a risk going to Spain - that she might pass away while I was here. However, I was very much encouraged when I left because she was actually feeling better! I saw her walking around the house without a walker and I know the week after I left, my Dad took her out to dinner. Therefore, when I was told her was in the hospital because she was in pain, I put some faith in doctors and wonderful pain-killing medicine, assuming she would get better in a few days and return home.
Wrong.
Monday night (GMT +1 --> that means Spain time) I called my Dad's cell (again, another tangent: I pretty much adore skype) and Dad answered. He and Mom were together and then I could hear it in their voices. They told me that Grandma wasn't doing well and was in the ICU. I start crying because I know this means the end is soon and I am not home - oh no, I am 4.000 miles away in Spain.
Keep in mind that I am sobbing in front of nearly all the students in the library. Why, oh why, can't I be one of those people who look beautiful when they cry?
Fast forward to Tuesday... I cried in my first class, was numb and couldn't think in Spanish during any of my classes, and then cried some more when I skyped Mom after classes. Still skipping a lot... I went out to Starbucks (oh the irony) with Julie Ann, the Student Director here and one of the most fabulous people I have met. We spoke in English and I was able to share everything that was on my mind and heart. Julie Ann was such an encouragement and as I was sitting there slurping down my chocolate frappacino, I felt a peace. I know that I am here for a reason. God did not forget about my presence across the Atlantic and He is not in Heaven going, "Oh crapeth, I forgot about her. Well, drat it all - what is Plan B?" No, God knew that I would be over here alone, far from family and friends, and that something catestrophic and emotionally draining would happen. He knew this, He planned it, and He promises me in Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future" that I will be fine and benefit from this.
Julie Ann also challenged me to think about who God wants to be to me right now. How am I going to see Him in ways that I couldn't have if I were here and Grandma didn't die or Grandma died at home and I was there? So often we look for what God is doing but I want to look and see who God is and will be to/for me.
And so, my beloved Grandma Gerd is dead; she is gone. It probably won't fully hit me until I arrive home in May and realize that she isn't there. For now the loss is only in my thoughts, when I realize that I am not going to be able to show her the pictures I have taken here in Spain or tell her stories of traveling to our castle in Germany. It is hard to think that she won't be there. She has always been a significant and important part of my life. I am so blessed to have spent 21 years with her and had her there to celebrate my last birthday (Dad drove her and my Grandpa out to IWU to celebrate... I think that is one of the best birthday gifts ever).
I want to enjoy Spain for my Grandma. She helped fund a HUGE portion of my trip and she is also the one who first inspired my love for castles and Europe and so many other things. I will enjoy this while remembering her... and so I will be happy when I am happy and I will let myself be sad when I am sad.
Life goes on but God is eternal, therefore I can rest assured.
I'm so sorry, Alex. Rest assured that I am praying for you especially, but for your whole family. Will you be able to watch the funeral somehow? I have a friend in China whose grandmother died while she was there, and she watched the funeral live somehow. I'm not sure how, exactly.
ReplyDeleteBut I am praying for you. God is good, even when we don't feel like He is. I'll ask Him to help you see His goodness right now.
I love you.
Another thought: "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you."
ReplyDeleteWhen you pass through the waters, He will be with you. He is right there.
"I will never leave you or forsake you."
Never means never.
"Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend into heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there Your hand shall lead me, and Your right hand shall hold me. If I say, 'Surely the darkness shall fall on me,' even the night shall be light about me. Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You, but the night shines as the day; the darkness and the light are both alike to You For you formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well. My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Your eyes saw my subsance, being yet unformed. AND IN YOUR BOOK THEY ALL WERE WRITTEN, THE DAYS FASHIONED FOR ME, WHEN AS YET THERE WERE NONE OF THEM. How precious also are Your thought to me, O God! How great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand; When I awake, I am still with You."
I think you look beautiful when you cry :0)
ReplyDeleteI miss you. Terribly. Send me a ticket to Spain? The plane ride can be twenty hours long for all I care. I need my roommate!!
Loveth you. Praying for you. Missing you.