Saturday, January 10, 2009

23 kg = 50 lbs

First off - who knew that twenty-three kilograms is roughly equal to fifty pounds? I was unaware of this fact! I wonder how much the metric system will throw me off. It is one thing to convert in math class at school and quite another thing to watch the weather forecast and see that it is 6 degrees Celsius outside - what does that translate into so I can dress appropriately? And speaking of clothing and packing...

Those who know me are aware of the fact that I am slightly high maintenance. I like having everything I need when I need it. However, this poses a challenge when attempting to pack and brings to light the fact that I have too much stuff!

If I could take everything that I wanted to, this is what would be squished into my suitcase;
  • Both my pillows
  • My cream blanket and my faux down blanket (I hate to be cold!)
  • Both my winter coats - one for casual wear and my new one to wear any time I am not wearing my first coat.
  • Five purses/bags - my purses often masquerade as bookbags and mini suitcases.
  • Books! I would take way too many... I already know that I have to limit myself to 2 or 3 novels.
  • DVDs - I would only take a few because I am not there to watch movies... but I will take my favorite two (Fanaa and one of my American movies)
  • Somewhere around ten pairs of shoes (heels, gym shoes, sandals, etc...)
  • Clothing - about three large suitcases worth
  • A 4-month supply of my favorite shampoos, conditioners, lotions, toothpastes, contact solution, etc...
  • My brother - he is skinny enough to curl up into a very big suitcase
I recognize that this isn't all going to fit. I also know that I truly don't need everything I listed. The items above are what would make me comfortable. Life isn't about being comfortable though so I will learn to make do without two winter coats and my pillows. I don't need all those shoes and I certainly don't need all those clothes. And I can learn to adjust to new brands and buy what I need in Spain - I am not going to the end of the Earth.

My suitcase will be less than 50 lbs or 23 kg. Actually, I am supposed to be doing a "dry-run" of my packing right now. It would really stink to leave my packing until Monday, January 19th, and discover that I have too much stuff. Or even worse, get to the airport and discover my bag is too heavy!

I'm going to go work on this puzzle and what I can't pack perhaps someone will ship to me, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment