Saturday, August 24, 2013

It's time to return to blogging! [Part II]


And so, to continue where I left off, I give you the events of...

February

My students continued to be super adorable and cute. They are truly one of my chief joys in life and I am so thankful that my job is to love on them every day. Part of me is very glad that I am not a mother yet and can therefore spend my evenings in peace; yet, there is still a part of me that utterly enjoys the chaos that ensues with a class of thirteen 3-6 year-olds!  

Eating snack before going home

Excellent work copying the calendar!

I love his smile and excitement!

And I love this smile too!
February was also the month of friends.  In addition to hanging out with my friends who live here in Seoul, I was blessed to have another friend visit from California.  We spent many an hour playing games, cooking (or just eating), and exploring Seoul.

Laughing at random luck

No idea what the name of the game is, but it was super fun!

Yep, I love my life!

First time making lasagna in my little toaster oven!
One of the best moments in February was the Murder Mystery Dinner Party.  I had never done one before, but my Scottish friend was happy to introduce all of us to this memorable sort of game.  We hosted the dinner at our school and went all out decorating and baking.  We didn't order any food as one friend cooked it all - unbelievable and incredibly delicious! Reading through our little booklets of information was funny - "I think I am supposed to ask someone if they had an affair?!" as we had no idea how to cleverly integrate the tips and clues in our booklet into our "normal" conversations.  Next time I am sure we will all do better.  For those of you who are curious, the murderer ended up being the opera singer.

Tracing the outline of the body...

Talking about that delicious cake or the grisly murder?

Implying
The decorated table


The ladies!
While the best moment of February was the Murder Mystery Dinner Party, the most talked about moment was my appearance on Korean television (which deserves its own post).  So, stay tuned for that story!

March

My students were still adorable in March, but I can't inundate my blog with pictures of my super cute kids.  Sorry.  Aside from the routine of being a teacher, there were two other note-worthy events that happened: bell choir and Easter! 

Our church had a beautiful set of hand-bells donated to us.  The call went out for all interested members to see the worship pastor so a hand-bell choir could be formed.  We met on Sundays to practice and had a lot of fun.  A fairly large number of the women who joined are professional musicians and therefore very talented; however, some women didn't know how to read music.  With our diverse group of musicians, we laughed a lot and struggled to make all the notes come together at the right time.  For myself, despite having taken piano lessons for ten years, I had an issue with the syncopation in the song and struggled to come in at the exact right time.  Syncopation with hand-bells isn't as easy as syncopation on the piano (in my opinion).  However, we all survived and had a good time... though the church hasn't asked us back to perform!

The hand-bell choir!


My notes

You can see we had a lot of fun ;)


Easter came in March this year.  Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday but Easter in Korea is a close second.  Each year all the English-speaking ministries/churches come together for a joint Good Friday service.  I really enjoy this special time because everyone who attends that service truly wants to be there.  There is no social pressure to go - you go because you want to go.  That true desire to be present leads to some super awesome worship! And then Easter Sunday comes two days later!  This year, my friends and I decorated some Easter eggs and, following Scottish tradition, we rolled our decorated eggs down the hill at sunrise.  Well, we were a little late so it was after sunrise and the hill was really the banks of the Han River.  While the entire tradition is really quite cool, sunrise is WAY too early.  Next year (with my Scottish friend back in the UK - how sad!!!!), I will sleep in a bit longer and remember Easter morning of 2013 with great fondness.

Sunrise 
Our decorated eggs


Rolling the eggs down the bank of the Hangang

My "Korean" family

No comments:

Post a Comment