Thursday, December 1, 2011

I have the job?!

I [think I am] moving to South Korea!

Wow.

Why the vague uncertainty you ask? Well, I haven't signed a contract so this certainly isn't official [yet]. And while I firmly believe that this is where God wants me, I still need to ensure that the salary would be enough to live on AND pay off student loans. Erasing those pesky student loans is the primary purpose of this job...right behind buying groceries, having a place to live, and staying warm. Oh, and have enough money to buy airfare home at least once during the two-year contract. I love my family and will certainly miss them.

But now it's time for excitement to reign!

I think I have a job!!!! The dream of every college graduate! And mine is coming true! I have a job! An employer wants me! And not just any employer, but a Christian Montessori employer! It is so amazing how God knows my needs and meets them, even when I didn't really know I had that particular need! [This is totally going to be the post of exclamation marks!!!!!!!]

In my interview/meeting-via-Skype tonight, the founder of the school said that they want me to come and join them. Seeing as how they already sent me information on how to obtain the necessary E-2 work visa, I am taking this as a strong sign that the contract will be coming soon. Which means that I'll be moving to South Korea for two years...whoa...

A few weeks after I arrived home from Macedonia I remember laying in my bed, looking around my darkened room. My gaze fell on my bookcases, filled with books that are meaningful and representative of either a particular period in my life or development; pictures of favorite memories and people; knick-knacks from my travels and education (diploma, Starbucks mugs from other countries, etc); and a closet full of clothing that please me regarding warmth and style. As I silently observed my habitat in the dead of night I thought, "I love how my room finally is mine, but I am way too comfortable here. I am going to start to think that I need all these luxuries and mistake them for necessities. I need to get out of here and remember the lessons I've learned abroad." One thing I've learned and really appreciate from my travels is how little I need to survive and thrive. All the things in my life that define or represent me are nice; I did choose them for a reason. They make me comfortable and create a sense of home - a feeling that I cherish all the more since the upheaval of my life in 2009. However, they are things and things don't last.

As I travel, I find myself so much more dependent on God. Simple tasks such as buying a stamp, running to get evaporated milk or a particular brand of brownie mix from the grocery store, knowing where to purchase a small sewing kit or safety pins are all things I can do easily and without a thought in my daily life here in America. Without a thought - that means Jesus has no conscious part in that aspect of my life. That means Jesus really has no conscious part in so many areas of my life. Way too often I get in my [mom's] car and drive, complete my errand or work shift, and return home. Sure, I thank God for the fact that I have a vehicle to drive around or for an unexpected encounter with a friend or even the fact that I have so many wonderful freedoms and blessings here. But Jesus doesn't dominate my mind like He does when I am abroad. Overseas, in a foreign country, I find myself praying as I walk out the door, "Dear God, I have no idea how to buy a stamp at the post office. Will You please guide me and give me patience and wisdom as I try to communicate my request to the appropriate person? In fact, would You please help me find the correct person quickly and without any cross-cultural snafus?" Obviously a large part of my relationship with God overseas is grounded in my dependence on Him. Adapting to a new culture is very similar to being a child again and children are dependent creatures. I want to be more dependent on God and I feel I need to do that overseas. Another facet of my relationship with God that prospers abroad is my appreciation. Generally, there is no immediate community; it has to be found and/or constructed. Community is so important and I love how God puts people together at just the right time. He has always come through for me; I can't wait to see how He does it again - this time in South Korea. While God does orchestrate those relationships in the USA as well, the relationships seem to take on even greater significance overseas...I'm not sure why I hold that opinion, but I do.

Moving to South Korea will be sooooo difficult in a number of areas (packing being one of them!), but I am so excited!!!! This is what I have been waiting for! I am so excited to grow and change, even though transformation can be difficult and painful. However, it will be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment